Volunteers play an important role in the overall mission of Coastal Georgia Historical Society by helping to preserve, protect, and promote Coastal Georgia’s history. As a volunteer, you join many other generous individuals who support the Society’s mission by volunteering as docents, sharing talents for specific projects, organizing and staffing events, assisting with education programs, and serving as board or committee members.
It is our desire to provide you with a challenging and rewarding volunteer experience. As a volunteer you will receive all the training you need to effectively carry out your duties. All you need is the desire to participate as a volunteer with the Society. Ways you can volunteer:
• Museum Docent – Greet visitors and interpret the exhibits of the St. Simons Lighthouse Museum.
• School Tour Docents and Museum Educators – Help children gain a special appreciation of the history of Coastal Georgia.
• Research and Collections – Work with the Curator on various projects in the collection and archives. Researching, cataloguing, cleaning exhibits, and other functions of collections management.
• Administration Assistance – Perform general office duties such as mailings, filing, and database entry.
• Special Events – Assist staff at various special events such as lectures, membership meetings, and fundraising activities.
• Facilities Maintenance – Assist staff in minor repairs and preservation of the historic structures.
Each year at our Annual Meeting, the Society awards the Cunningham Bowl to the volunteer who has performed exemplary service to the Society during the previous year, and the Rodriguez Service Award to honor exemplary acts of stewardship and service performed by a staff member, board member, or individual serving in an official capacity to the Society. Both awards are on display in the A.W. Jones Heritage Center, and you can view the list of past recipients here.
The Society also recognizes volunteers at the annual volunteer appreciation luncheon. The first luncheon was held on September 23, 1985, at the King and Prince Hotel. This event gives us an opportunity to honor those who dedicate over 100 hours of volunteer service in the previous year.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the online form below or contact the Society’s Education Director, Sandy Jensen, at [email protected] or (912) 634-7093. If you prefer to print and fill out the volunteer form, mail it to: PO Box 21136, St. Simons Island, Georgia 31522. Thank you for your interest!